Hwangudan Altar was designated as Historical Site No. 157 on July 15, 1967, and its name refers to an altar used for offering rites to heaven. The Korean name of ‘Hwangudan Altar’ was given by King Gojong in October 1897 after his performance of the rites according to 《Tongnip Sinmun》. Hwangudan Altar of today was created by making a column at the old site of Nambyeolgung Palace to preserve the original altar created for the purpose of conducting rites and the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Gojong (34th year of the reign of King Gojong) in 1897.
Address: 106, Sogong-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul
Transportation: Exit 8, Euljiro 1(il)-ga Station (Line 2) / Exit 5, City Hall Station (Lines 1 and 2)